Wednesday 18 July 2012

School work ???

I woke up this morning ,deciding that our children ate too much minimal nutrient food, and set about making some 'nutrient dense' food.
First up some fruit and nut balls were created out of what ever dried friut and nuts I had in the cupboards. I whizzed them all, then ,with two little helpers, (who had just emerged all sleepy eyed from their beds) we rolled balls and tossed them in coconut.....


great way to get into the day, with sticky stuff to roll with your hands......




..a very thoroughly rolled (and heavily sampled) fruit and nut ball ....

After a pretty extensive clean up... of kitchen and children.....I tried out  a great muffin recipe, using coconut flour, from a good friend whose family are grain-free.

They are pretty good and approved by all ,especially those who got to lick the bowl.....


In amongst my impulsive baking burst, the older two emerged from their bedrooms, 'a bit late' I commented, but it turns out they had both been in bed working on their knitting projects, Becca finishing off some french knitting, and Kurt came out (still in his pjama's) to get some help with a 'horse' that he's knitting (from a great 'kids knitting book we have).....


I have been trying to get them back into knitting for ages, so certainly didn't want to squash their renewed enthusiasm for this fantastic skill they were embracing (can you tell I'm pleased about it) , but found myself feeling like we 'should' be doing some 'school' , and so mentioned that we might get our books out soon. Fortunately a timely phonecall from my husband , and a discussion around why we are homeschooling, resulted in a rethink of my 'plans' for the morning. As I re-entered the lounge, in amongst the chaos and mess, I found a big boy totally engrossed in,both his breakfast, and a fact sheet about the All Blacks that he got from the weetbix packet. (so engrossed he was hearing nothing I was saying to him while I was taking this photo....




....a very busy pattern cutting young lady embarking ,very excitedly, on a doll making project after finding a pattern in a book that I gave her for her birthday (that I had given up hope on, as she had shown no interest in it up until now)....




....and a little boy desperately pleading for someone to show him how do do french knitting.......

So I answered a few All Black questions (the few that I knew the answers to)........gave some advice with regards to pattern cutting........ decided to ignore the fast escalating mess and cleared some space on the floor, to sit with an enthusiastic ,newly turned, five year old and gave a french knitting tutorial...... he picked it up pretty fast, and man was he proud...




An afternoon with another homeschooling family (still haven't got to know many here yet, it's so very very different than Motueka !!), then we finished the day with the boys rugby practice... Kurt with his under 9's team and Anton with his under 6 ripper team....



Driving home from practice at 5.30pm tonight, it was noted just how much lighter it was compared to driving home at this time only a month ago.... it's still midwinter and the temperatures still reflect this I know, but the slow increase in light is just a nice reminder that summer is out there somewhere .. don't you love that.
(I'm such a summer person)

No comments:

Post a Comment