Friday 31 August 2012

Schoolwork

We are doing a bit of formal school at the moment, (just a little bit)





At the moment the older kids are doing a block on the Old Testament stories of the bible (as per christopherus curriculum), which has been a big learning experience for me, previously know very little about some of the stories in the old testament and absolutely nothing about most of them.

I don't follow the curriculum specifically, but it is great having it as a guide, and they recommend studying these stories particularly for nine year olds, as they go through their growing up stages and changes (Kurt is definately going through a stage of some type, so I thought it might be good to read the stories and do a bit of work around them)

Anyway the stories are certainly interesting, and I have learnt a bit from reading them. The kids are intrigued , , but do find the language a bit challenging, I must admit I have used the dictionary more than once. But we are figuring them out bit by bit.

We do a bit of summary writing the next day after reading a story and sometimes some craft....
Today we wrote about Abraham's sacrificing of his son Isaac....








 and we also used clay to model Noahs ark..........





Probaly not everyone's favourite block of stories (at least not so far), but interesting all the same. Although Rebecca was kind of excited to hear her name in the stories (Rebecca marries Isaac , for those (like me) who don't have a clue about this stuff).


The little ones love getting into the clay too....





 but are loving their painting as well.......




While we're probably not too full on with our formal schooling around here, I do love our times together creating at the table.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I'm well-versed in the bible, but some of those old stories are really interesting - even for us non-believers : )
    I love the fancy, joined up lettering Kurt has got going on, I never learned to write like that at school, and I wish I had!

    ReplyDelete